Back to tips

Types of living accommodations


Types of living accommodations

When you are a caregiver to a senior losing autonomy, the issue of living accommodations may need to be addressed. What is the best way to provide your loved one with a living environment adapted to his or her needs?


Depending on the nature and stage of your loved one’s disease, health condition and level of autonomy, there are different types of accommodations.

Accomodations in the public network

  • Family-type resources (FTR): Providing light supervision, FTR are designed to recreate the living conditions of a family environment. Arranged through a public institution, one or two people have up to nine seniors come to live with them. 
  • Intermediate resources (IR): For slight to moderate loss of autonomy, IR have a contract with a facility in the public network and provide an infrastructure and safe environment. The care and services are adapted and supervised by a multidisciplinary team from the public network. Costs are determined by the RAMQ based on various criteria.
  • Residential and long-term care centres (CHSLDs): these centres are for people with severe loss of autonomy for whom staying at home has become impossible, even with external services such as those provided by the CLSC or family support.  CHSLDs provide medical care, nurses, medication management and supervision.  Care workers provide assistance in daily living and mobility activities. 

To see the costs and the services included in IR and CHSLDs on the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec website, click here

To apply for accommodations in the public network, you must contact your CLSC’s reception office or your loved one's care navigator. This person will take the steps required for the accommodation application. If your loved one is hospitalized when the accommodations are required, you may contact the hospital’s social service.   

To find your CLSC, click here

Accomodations in the private network

  • Private residences: designed for people who are independent or have a slight loss of autonomy and are seeking security and a full range of services and activities on site. Amenities, services and costs vary from one residence to another. Services are generally “à la carte,” in other words, their fees are added to the monthly rent. Rental units vary from a single room to an apartment. Some residences have a section for clients with a greater loss of autonomy. In these sections, the rent generally includes more services than in the regular section.
  • Private CHSLD:for clients with significant loss of autonomy. The monthly payment is covered by the person and varies from one facility to another and based on the level of autonomy.

To identify private network resources and find out more about them, you must contact the facilities directly. You may also contact a housing advisor to help you in your search. The Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux has a directory of accredited private residences [in french] that it makes available to the public.

Public, private under contract and private CHSLD: what's the difference?

  • Public CHSLD: Fully managed by the Province, costs determined by the government based on specific criteria (type of room, income and personal assets, etc.).
  • Private CHSLD under contract: Managed by private owners, but subsidized by the Ministère de la Santé.  Costs and admission processes are the same as for public CHSLDs. 
  • Private CHSLD: managed by private owners with no subsidy from the Ministère; admission criteria, operations and rates can vary from one centre to another. To apply for accommodations, you must contact the facility directly.

When the time comes to consider these living accommodations, take the time to discuss your loved one's short- and long-term needs with him or her and to choose the option best-suited to his or her needs and level of autonomy.

Don't hesitate to call Caregiver Support Helpline at 1-855-852-7784. One of our qualified professional counselors will guide you throughout your caregiving journey and direct you to the right resources for your needs.

format_list_bulleted See all tips

Need to talk?

Contact our Caregiver Support Helpline for counselling, information and referrals.

Every day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Free of charge.

call  Caregiver info :  1 855 852-7784