Back to tips

Long-term care in the private sector

Drawing of a man brooming inside an head

After taking time with your loved one to discuss types of housing, you consider long-terme care in private sector .

One alternative to long-term care in the public network is long-term care in the private network. Regulated by the Regulation respecting the conditions for obtaining a certificate of compliance and the operating standards for a private seniors’ residence under an Act respecting health services and social services , this network includes over 2,000 residences, which are eligible for home-support tax credits. They are also subject to An Act respecting the Régie du logement . If you want to consider this option to determine what will be best for your loved one, know that many factors need to be considered to make an informed choice, such as the residence category, the location, their needs, their budget and their expectations.

default image

Private residence categories

Independent-living facilities must offer at least two of the following services: meals, housekeeping, security or recreation. If your loved one needs nursing care or personal assistance, they can still live in an independent-living facility provided that their needs are managed by a third party (e.g., CLSC, community organizations, private companies). Medication administration and assistance with personal care are examples of these services.

Assisted-living facilities must also offer at least two of the aforementioned services and include at least one personal assistance and/or nursing care service.

Non-subsidized private long-term care and residential facilities (CHSLD) are set up to receive seniors with severe loss of autonomy. These independent and autonomous facilities offer the following services: medical care, medication management, personal care, specialized care and leisure activities. In comparison to public and subsidized private CHSLDs, non-subsidized private CHSLDs do not receive any subsidies from the Government and do not require referral from a CLSC for access. However, they must hold a permit from the Ministère de la Santé et des services sociaux, even if they have their own admission criteria, rates and operating mode.

Continuum of Care retirement homes can accept independent, semi-independent and non-independent seniors, provided that each section of the residence meets the criteria and standards defined by the aforementioned act. The goal of these residences is to provide services customized to the senior’s needs based on the progression of their condition and to ensure a gentle and respectful transition from their home to long-term care.

Residence advisors for seniors

Also called senior living advisors, their mandate involves providing free assistance with no commitment in researching private residences for seniors. Many specialized companies offer this research assistance service, so you can take the time to choose your advisor wisely. To conduct this research yourself, free directories of seniors’ residences are also available on the Internet.

In case of dissatisfaction 

You can first refer to the Users’ Committee, which has a mandate to ensure that users’ rights are respected and to ensure service quality. To file a complaint or report a concerning situation, you can contact the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner for your region. The Centres d’assistance et d’accompagnement aux plaintes can also support you through such processes as needed. If you are dissatisfied with the response received from the Commissioner, you can file your complaint with the Protecteur du citoyen [Quebec Ombudsman]. With respect to leases, you must contact the Régie du logement.

As needed, do not hesitate to contact our Caregiver Counselors (1 855 852-7784 or for more information on this subject.

format_list_bulleted See all tips

Need to talk?

Contact our Caregiver Support Helpline for counselling, information and referrals.

Every day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Free of charge.

call  Caregiver info :  1 855 852-7784
Live Chat