Financial security
Call the Caregiver Support at 1 855 852-7784

As a caregiver, it is likely that at one time or another you will have a role to play in managing the personal finances of the care receiver (cash withdrawals, bill payments, purchases, etc.). It is also possible that you are worried because you suspect that the care receiver is experiencing serious financial difficulty or is the victim of abuse or fraud.

Financial security covers many facets, including how and when to use a power of attorney, what to plan for when sharing a joint account, understanding the various methods of payment now available, etc. It may be difficult to navigate through everything! Fortunately, tools and resources exist to help you and your loved one find your way.

Is my loved one receiving the income to which they are entitled?

A visit to the Government of Canada's Benefits Finder website will enable you to obtain a customized list of benefits that the person you care for could be receiving.

Is my loved one experiencing financial difficulty?

Is your loved one asking you questions about bankruptcy? Do you have concerns about the excessive use of credit? Are you aware of repeated calls from collection agencies? If so, it could be very useful to suggest that your loved one communicate with the Association coopérative d’économie familiale (ACEF) organization in their region. The ACEFs are not-for-profit community organizations who fields of intervention include budgetary, debt and consumer issues.

Could my loved one be the victim of financial abuse?

The person you look after tells you that they can no longer meet their financial obligations and you think they might be the victim of financial abuse. Pay attention if you notice the following:

  • They no longer appear to have control over their personal finances;
  • They are no longer covering their basic needs, such as buying enough food to eat properly;
  • They are receiving calls from a collection agency or appear to be experiencing a situation of excessive debt.

Be extra vigilant if the person you look after is

  • older than 75 years
  • anxious or depressed
  • in a vulnerable situation or dependent on another person

Is my loved one still capable of managing their finances?

Have you noticed a deterioration of the mental or physical faculties of the person you are looking after? Have you wondered whether this person is still able to express their will and to make informed decisions? Are you increasingly worried about their potential incapacity? What you need to know is that a person is declared incapacitated when they are unable to care for themselves or administer their property. Assessing the incapacity of a person with whom we are close is not always clear cut. To help you, you will need the assistance of professionals (physician, social worker) capable of conducting a medical and psychosocial evaluation. The results will help you to know whether it is time to consider opening a protection plan or the homologation of a mandate of protection (formerly called a mandate in case of incapacity).

Tools and resources