The financial impacts related to taking care of a loved one are well documented and very real. In some cases, loved ones end up having to reduce their work hours or leave the workforce altogether in order to assume their caregiver role. To help people in these sometimes very difficult situations, there are organizations whose mission involves providing guidance to individuals and families who have financial and budgetary concerns.
Associations coopératives d’économie familiale (ACEF) are not-for-profit community organizations who fields of intervention include budget, debt and consumer issues. These organizations raise awareness and provide the following: public education; individual, family and group intervention; training; consumer rights advocacy. Through the services they provide, these associations strive to achieve such goals as those below:
- support individuals or families in debt or experiencing financial difficulty;
- help people develop financial independence and promote consumer responsibility;
- strengthen consumers’ critical thinking with respect to using credit, overconsumption and waste;
- denounce abusive commercial practices;
- influence political decisions (economic and social) that affect the quality of life of citizens, especially the most vulnerable;
- unite individuals and groups concerned about consumer issues, debt, housing and the impoverishment of individuals or families.
Most ACEF organizations provide a variety of services, such as budget consultation services for people who want to take stock of their budget, workshops on various themes (home ownership, transition to retirement, debt solutions, tips and tricks for a balanced budget, understanding credit, etc.).
Most services offered are free or low cost. Services are confidential and customized. Moreover, given that ACEF organizations do not sell any products, their advice is neutral.
- Tips and tricks to save money
- Online budget
- Various online calculators
- Brochures and guides developed by ACEF
- Vos finances en toute sécurité - Guide à l'intention des aînés
- Tout bien calculer, a portal that pools a range of information and tools developed over the years thanks to the expertise that the consumer associations present throughout Quebec have in personal finance.
- Find the contact info for the ACEF organization in your region
- Option consommateurs