Since the Relay for Life is held this month, we asked Nathalie Parent, Project Lead at the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS), to describe the main services available to caregivers who are providing support to a loved one with cancer.
- Cancer Information Service: Call 1-888-939-3333 to talk to an information specialist who can answer your questions with reliable and current information. The service is available from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., in English and French. You can also contact us by email at [email protected].
- Community Services Locator: Using this directory that lists more than 1,000 resources across the province, the information specialists can direct you to services available in your local area. You can also search through this directory yourself online to find services for you or your loved one.
- Virtual talks: From the comfort of your own home, you can watch talks led by oncology experts. Topics vary from myths about cancer to nutrition and treatment.
- Support groups: Available in all regions, these groups led by health professionals are held once a month and are open to everyone.
- CancerConnection.ca: Discuss and share your experience any time on this online platform that is available 24/7. A true virtual community where you will find people with similar experiences to yours ready to listen to you and provide you with support and advice.
- Maison Jacques-Cantin. This solution is of special interest to those who must travel to Montreal for their loved one’s treatments.
For more information on the services offered by the Canadian Cancer Society, visit cancer.ca/support.